A Diamond in the Rough- Good Eats!!!

Sunday serenity! While its still slightly chilly and gloomy, I am finding some MAD writing motivation today, so here's to creating my own sunshine! How has your weekend been so far? Anyone else super stoked for The Walk Dead Season Finale? This girl can't wait! Before I can get to that, I wanted to write on an experience I had yesterday at a diamond in the rough restaurant.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Following a team event, that beyond exhausted me, simply walking around, my husband suggested grabbing some food before heading home. Siri to the rescue, yeah right! No way will we find a restaurant that caters to our need. No luck with a vegetarian restaurant, however, my husband then asked for a vegan spot. WHAT?! If Siri can't locate a vegetarian spot how in the heck will she find a vegan one? BOY was I wrong. Siri responded with two options, so we decided to check out the Vegan Cafe in Lockport.

My mind was blown. Not only did we find a vegan restaurant in an unlikely location the overall experience was fantastic. The owner/chef was preparing all the food and came out to give us some samples. The staff was so accommodating, and helpful. If this isn't inspiring I don't know what could be. To know there are forward thinking people everywhere that care about what people consume, making it their life journey to educate and nourish communities.

My meal @ Vegan Cafe
Mixed Greens Salad/Fruite Salad/Burrito/Pad Thai

When we arrived, we found out this was not only a vegan restaurant, but also RAW, non-GMO, non-soy and gluten-free. Most of their dishes are nut based, so if anyone suffers from a nut-allergy you would need to be very specific about that. I was so excited. The menu had endless options covering pretty much every avenue of food. I will say, I have had a few experiences with RAW Vegan restaurants, this by far has been the best I have had, the Vegan Cafe was beyond amazing. This experience has motivated both my husband and I to consider at least 2/3 meals a week in our home being RAW. The full feeling you have,  yet satisfaction and not feeling sick, you can't beat it.

Now I will say, removing the labels from my life is very important and will continue to be part of my journey. Finding my true 80/20 balance will also be key in a longevity of a healthy life. I will continue to eat foods and accept that I will always try to do my best. What I have also realized that the way I feel after I eat something that may not be deemed as healthy can sometimes last for a few days at a time. As gratifying as the experience is in the present moment, when you are essentially paying for it three days later, you got to ask yourself if it was truly worth it. Now sometimes, I would imagine the answer will be yes and then there are other times where it wont be. Again, the 80/20 balance.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

My journey will continue to be similar to many others. I will continue to nourish my body with amazing foods, while having the flexibility of knowing I won't be perfect. I will continue to listen to my body as it tells me what it needs. How will you plan to continue your journey? What are some key things that are important to you?

For me, here are a few things that are key in my happiness with my health and wellness journey...

  1. Nourish my body with whole foods and lots of water
  2. Identify the need behind my cravings
  3. Trust myself
  4. Put my best foot forward
  5. Find my TRUE 80/20 balance
  6. Accept flexibility
  7. Love myself
So think about what will help you be the best version of you and what you can do to truly take care of yourself. Create a vision board, write post-it notes and put them on your mirrors, find whatever your motivation is and always move forward. No matter how dark times may get, or how tough it may feel, these moments are temporary. "This too shall pass." Own your life and love yourself. I suggest, if you are ever in Lockport area or even a close drive, you MUST check out the Vegan Cafe (http://www.rawvegancafe.org/). To light, love and happiness! <3 Ash

Comments

Popular Posts