Sleeping Yogi

Happy Sunday! Happy March! Can't believe this year is going by so quickly. We are officially moved in to our new home and it is amazing! I have the best husband in the entire world, I barely had to lift a finger. We also hired professional movers so overall it was pretty painless. This move, I was a bit more stressed because I am very limited in what I can do with my recovery and all, so I was nervous it would be too much, but it really wasn't that bad. My husband is a super hero! I find it amusing with the timing and life, I really didn't want to move at this time, but we found a home that we couldn't pass up. So as I sit in our new bedroom and look out on to our backyard, I realize how lucky we are and how everything just fell in to place. 

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Now, I haven't spoken too much up till this point on how much I love sleep, in any form. Whether it is a quick ten minute nap, a snooze in the car or going to be super early, I have always LOVED my sleep. As I fell asleep on our first night in our house I noticed how quiet it was. I LOVE IT! As I woke up to our new home, slightly confused as to where I was, I realized, this was legitimately the best sleep I have gotten in years. No horns honking, no sirens, no cars whizzing by, no voices screaming in the middle of night, just quiet. It has been years. I love this. I think the peacefulness our new home brings will help me heal so much faster, and I will allow anything that will help me heal with open arms.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

This is another reason why I have connected with yoga so dearly. When I started doing yoga back in 2001, it had been a few months into my practice when I experienced my first euphoria of Savasana. The first time my mind chatter stopped and I was simply present. The power of turning everything off is a beautiful thing. When I came too, I felt rested and rejuvenated, almost like I had taken a nap, but I remember everything. Now, this doesn't happen for me every practice but I will say when it does happen, I soak it up and appreciate the moment.This feeling of euphoria has also opened my mind up much more to meditation as I feel being able to sit quiet in this crazy world we live on is something that can keep us grounded and focused. Savasana is the hardest posture in yoga, it isn't about sleeping, it is about quieting your mind, letting go of everything you know and being present. I have had huge growth moments when in Savasana, from the clarity and non judgement I have felt. It can be difficult to be completely still with a quiet mind, but it can be life changing when it happens.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

So my challenge to you, sleep more. I know that can be a very daunting task, but try it. Even if it is going to bed five minutes earlier, taking a little cat nap, or anything else, a lot can happen while you sleep. You can dream amazing things, have light bulb moments, or simply sleep. Sleep heals it all, sleep allows us to be our best self and keeps us healthy. We live such busy lives, so sometimes taking any moment we have to slow down can create more space for so much more. To light, love and happiness! <3 Ash

Comments

Popular Posts