The Best Version of You

Happy Snowy Sunday! I started reading a new book a few days ago called “The Big Leap,” by Gay Hendricks, just about half way through and I love it. Without giving anything away, a couple subjects I really like from the book are perspective and getting out of your own way, both of which I can use a wake up call every once in awhile.  So lets talk about each of these concepts and see what we can uncover.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Perspective is huge in life and can change situations 180 degrees. The way we perceive a situation or experience will dictate how we handle the outcome and ourselves. Within the society we all live in, it’s so easy to be in a situation and react immediately, without reflection. Something I have been actively working on for the past couple years is reflection. Taking the appropriate amount of time to reflect on a situation before reacting. This has saved me from saying things I didn’t mean or hurting someone I love. This has also helped me grow as an individual and have felt stronger and more confident in choices I make, without the feeling of regret. Actively making the choice of reflection helps me stand my ground when I feel a certain way, because I know I’ve taken the time to establish my true feelings, not the fleeting ones that could be filled with hurtful things.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Try it, the next time you are faced with a challenging situation with someone, you can simply explain, “I don’t have a response for you right now, but I am going to take some time to think things over.” Or, be an observer of the situation you are in and take it back, reflect and then confront the person it was with, in a non-confrontational manner to actually resolve the situation, rather than throw gasoline on a fire. It’s a pretty powerful feeling!


Image Courtesy of Google Images

On to the next, getting out of our own way. I don’t know about you, but I know this is something I struggle with, sometimes daily. There are so many things I want to accomplish in my life and sometimes I either try and cram it all in to a short period of time OR I talk myself out of it. It’s almost like having an optimistic and pessimistic side whispering why I should or shouldn’t, coming up with excuses or reasons why I shouldn’t try something new or take a chance due to fear. All are real emotions and we shouldn’t ever dismiss the feelings we have as we approach situations, but they shouldn’t direct us in the completely opposite way of our goals and dreams.


Image Courtesy of Google Images

Its almost like the necessary evils, but those moments when I make an active choice to take a step in the direction of my goals and dreams, I love it and feel even more accomplished then things I do on a daily basis JUST to pay the bills. Not that I want to feel the struggle, but sometimes there are compromises you must make in order to reach your full potential, the whole reason I have chosen to write this specific blog.

This book has already shifted my perspective, even if it is the smallest shift. Similar to the book “The Power of Now,” by Eckhart Tolle, which by the way if you haven’t read, it is a MUST read. Another page-turner, that literally changed me in some ways and pushed me to handle life very different.

It amazes me the power of words. Words we can use on a daily basis, but the way in which we use them can change people’s lives. We have to make the choice to use these words in ways that won’t HARM others but will INSPIRE others to be their greatest self.

Images Courtesy of Google Images

I love this work of health coaching and yoga, because I feel it allows me to work with people on an entirely different level. To help people unlock their true potential with the tools they already have. That is the greatest light bulb moment for anyone, is the realization that we’ve had the tools all along; sometimes they are just buried deep within us waiting to be uncovered.


Image Courtesy of Google Images

About a year and a half ago I made the decision to go to therapy. I had a lot of life changing experiences happening all at once and I wanted to some guidance along the way, guidance from a third party that wasn’t tied to any side of the situations I was faced with. Someone that could look in and help me uncover my true self. I will say that therapy has become much more accepted in the past few years. I remember years ago, people, including myself, were embarrassed to admit they needed help, on whatever level needed. For me this decision was to help me cope with planning my wedding, making the next big step in my life by marrying my best friend. I wanted to be the best version of myself as I took this vow to spend the rest of my life with someone. I wasn’t going to half-ass it, I wanted to be all in, even if there was some baggage. I will always be a work in progress and will always choose to stay open to growth.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Another big reason I made the choice to go to therapy is I wanted to make sure as I entered into this health coach world I was honest with who I am as a person. My biggest fear when I became a yoga instructor and now a health coach was to be a fraud. To not truly practice what I preached. To give everyone else in the world advice on what they could do and to take the best care of themselves they could, but not do these simple things myself. That was my fear and something that I wasn’t going to allow. You know the most amazing part of all of it? When I released my fear and took active steps in making some changes, I unlocked a part of myself that could be available in helping others; to allow myself to own my accomplishments and to also own my struggles. To be TRUE and not a fraud.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Just in writing and re-reading the above it takes me back to my initial statement of the power of words, most of the times when we try and associate or define ourselves with a negative word, it is simply holding on to a fear that is controlling our minds. Let it go and be your true self, unlock your full potential.


Image Courtesy of Google Images

Each day it all takes work. I mean true HARD work. To put out into the universe what we want in return. To not wait around for our dreams to come true but to MAKE it happen for ourselves. We must let go of the fear of failure and embrace the power of change and success. Try to remove the word “can’t” from our vocabulary and know we CAN make it happen. We are all destined for something amazing things in this life. Do whatever it takes to achieve that and to be your true self, of course, without hurting others. We still have KARMA sitting out in the world waiting to pass along what we send out. Do it right, do it strong and you will feel the amazing success you are meant to feel.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Not sure if you can tell how much these books have motivated me. Just two books out of millions, that can help motivate someone to do something great, and by great to your OWN definition. Use words to empower yourself and define them how they are suited to you and no one else. I am a living example of taking different lessons from books I have read and have applied them in my life. To not be ashamed to let the world know that sometimes we all need a little help and guidance, some turn to friends and others turn to professionals. I don’t view needing help as a weakness it’s strength, to look at your situation and know you need a little help to get pointed in the right direction.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

So here’s to an amazingly strong 2015 of finding and owning our true selves. I know I am more ready for it then I ever have been before, I hope you feel the same as well. To light, love and happiness! <3 Ash

Comments

Popular Posts