Recovery from Myocarditis

So here is a health update and overall it is good. Since getting sick back in November with a viral infection that gave me Myocarditis, it has been a long recovery. Struggling sometimes to even function, and now I am still fighting fatigue and some other minor symptoms, the recovery of patience and listening to my body. I have been waiting three months for my final EKG and I went this past Monday. A long time coming, I tell ya. Monday was the day of Murphy’s Law. Our water heater broke, but luckily the handy man was in the area and was able to fix, the unfortunate part is my husband Brad couldn’t go to the doctor with me. Not the end of the world, but there is nothing WORSE than sitting in those rooms just waiting to speak to someone.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

Luckily my appointment was close to the house, so I left and got there in about fifteen minutes, not too shabby. Had to fill out some paperwork and they got me back into the room fairly quickly. The nurse came in and was SUPER nice. She asked me some basic questions and then wanted to know why I was there. Really?! Do doctors not take notes? So I explained the situation and told her I was there for my final EKG. She explained the doctor didn’t have a note of that, but went ahead with the test anyways. Obviously, that isn’t something I would just make up and she verified with the doctor, that YES, this is why I was there. Once all was done, she wished me an early happy birthday and then left the room.

I sat and waited.

About ten minutes passed and the resident doctor came in. Deja-vu…felt like I was in the ER all over again. He looked at my EKG then asked me some scary questions, looked back down then asked me some more. After about fifteen minutes of awkward silence, the resident looked at me and said, “nice meeting you, the doctor will be in to see you in a few.” WAIT, what about my results.

I sat and waited.

After a LONG twenty minutes of running worst case scenario through my mind, the cardiologist FINALLY came into to see me. Slightly nervous, because I was feeling some symptoms, we sat and chatted. He told me that my heart was healing (GREAT NEWS), but it could be another three to six months before I am back to normal. WAIT, WHAT?! Luckily, he said, I could start introducing some light activity back into my life, so at least I have my home yoga practice to look forward too. Slightly disappointed to know it is going to be awhile longer. Not exactly what I was expecting from this, however, due to how sick I truly got in November, I guess it isn't a TERRIBLE thing that the doctor is being cautious.  He explained that it isn’t like I had just gotten the flu, that the viral infection I got attacked my entire body, so it takes awhile for my major organs to heal. I get it.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

So I have had the last couple days to let this sink in. As I sit in my living room and look outside there are a ton of emotions going through my mind, some positive and to be honest some NOT so positive. This has been a journey for me. I have never had to deal with illness like this before first hand. To have your life come to a screeching halt, to know that my recovering is only about half-way done. I will say, I am happy to be on this side of the road, to know that worst is behind me and it will only be uphill from here.

Image Courtesy of Google Images

The biggest lesson of all for this is to listen to your body. Trust yourself and know that you know your body better than anyone else. Take doctors orders and keep a positive attitude. I may have awhile longer before I am back to feeling like myself, but the good news is my heart is healing and time flies. Friends, I hope you all have a great start to your weekend. To light, love and happiness. <3 Ash

Comments

Popular Posts